Posted by: powellpjc | January 13, 2011

Kiribati to Marshall Islands

I was glad to get out of Tarawa, Kiribati and its rolly, windy anchorage but I was perhaps paid back for all the nasty things I’ve said about Kiribati when my chart plotter blinked out as I was sailing out of the lagoon. I had 10 miles of coral to negotiate and no navigation electronics. There were a few buoys marking the passage that I remembered from the way in but it was still nerve-wracking. When I later had the time, I took the chartplotter apart, fiddled with all connections and finally got it to come on again when I toggled the circuit breaker. Whew! I left the damn thing on for the next six days, afraid of touching it.

The seas got unnaturally rough when I cleared the last of the Kiribati atolls and talking with other sailors, we think it must be the action of the equatorial counter-current, flowing east against the trade winds that kicks up the water. I passed through the squally weather of the ITCZ, or inter-tropical convergence zone (previously known as the doldrums) with no trouble.

Had some success with the fishing at New Year’s day when I bagged a tuna. I didn’t know he was on for a long time and when I pulled him in all I got was his head. Somebody else got to eat him.

As for the evidence, your Honour, I present the head and nothing but the head.

 I think a wahoo because when I reset the line, my squid bait was cleanly severed from the 300lb test line. Could be shark but I think the razor-toothed and vicious wahoo did the deed.

I had to dodge some atolls as I headed to Majuro, the capital atoll of the Marshall Islands, including sailing between two atolls about 10 miles apart and of course, the passage needed to be done in the middle of the night. I use a kitchen wind up one hour alarm clock. I slept through the alarm at the most critical hour but managed to miss the reefs. Just another gadget you can’t trust.

Mr. mahi mahi paid a visit on the last few miles into Majuro. Once again lovely sashimi and I gave a bunch away when I arrived at the anchorage.

Mr. mahi mahi. Come to papa.

When you pith him he becomes very co-operative.


There are about 25 sailboats here, hooked up to commercial moorings and the anchorage is nicely protected from swell and wind. A nice change from Tarawa. The local yacht club is quite active, with weekly dinners, seminars on route-finding, electronics and the like. I’m pretty sure they’re all waiting for a dental lecture.

Ulic is sending me a few needed items as are my kin so I’ll be staying here for at least a month. Just as well because I’ve a number of jobs to complete. My 2nd reefing line parted like a pistol shot in the night, my high pressure watermaker hose burst, my transmission is leaking oil, a couple of winches are seized and on and on.

Today I got my AIS instrument back from the Florida factory. It still doesn’t work.

I am not complaining. The water is warm and the days are hot. And I’m not missing any meals.



  1. enjoy following the adventures of Peter. Life in Thunder Bay seems to pale compared to the beauty and splendour of your voyage.
    Stay well

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: